I love apple pie filling! I also have a lot of recipes that call for canned apple pie filling… and it’s a little expensive… not to mention that homemade always tastes 1000 x better! This must be one of my FAVORITES and if you were looking for an easy recipe for apple pie filling… you found it!
This recipe makes the equivalent of a box of apple pie filling and takes only about 10 minutes. It’s much better than store-bought and it’s fast and easy! Choose a variety of apples that are resistant to baking like Granny Smith! We love this recipe on its own or served over ice, but this easy to make apple pie filling works great in the recipes below!
Yield:5 – 9 inch pies
- 18 cups thinly sliced apples
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 cups water
- 4 ½ cups white sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Step 1: In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside. Pour water into a Dutch oven over medium heat. Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl; add to water, stir well, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Step 2: Add apples and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until apples are tender about 6 to 8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Step 3: Ladle into 5 freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Cool at room temperature no longer than 1 1/2 hours.
- Step 4: Seal and freeze. Can be stored for up to 12 months.
This Post Has 3 Comments
Thank you for all your printable recipes. Some of them I have made for years but want to save them for my daughter and granddaughter to use after I am gone. I am a southern cook but children now days do not cook like we do. Bless you and stay safe.
My comments are above.
Thank you for your printable recipes. I will be saving them for my daughter and granddaughter as they do not cook like I do. I am a southern cook and my food is prepared a lot like yours. God Bless and be safe.