This Better Than Pumpkin Dump Cake is so good that everyone will be begging for the recipe, just like I did when I first tried it.
- 1 yellow cake mix (reserve 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened (1-1/2 sticks)
- 4 eggs
- 1 29-ounce can plain pumpkin purée(not pie filling)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan or dish.
- Combine the cake mix (less the reserved 1 cup), 1 egg, and 1 stick of the butter; mix well. Press mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a bowl, combine the pumpkin, 3 eggs, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, brown sugar, 1/2 cup of white sugar, and milk. Mix well, then pour in an even layer on top of the cake mix layer.
- Mix together the reserved 1 cupcake mix, 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1 cup pecans. Sprinkle mixture evenly over your pumpkin mixture.
- Bake for about 1 hour, and test for doneness with a toothpick. If the toothpick does not come out clean, return the cake to the oven for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Recipe and Photo: Steven Labinski