These traditional Irish potato pancakes are a simple dish that is so deliciously creamy on the inside with crispy goodness on the outside. Always make extra mash potatoes just to have these the next day!
- 1 cup raw, grated potatoes or
- 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup (about) milk to mix (not if using mashed potatoes)
- Butter or oil for frying
- green onions or fresh parsley (optional)
- Place the grated raw potatoes in a clean cloth and twist to remove excess moisture. Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Combine flour mixture into raw potatoes, mashed potatoes and eggs. Add enough mix to make a batter.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat and add butter or oil. Drop potato batter by the tablespoon into the hot pan. Brown on both sides (about 4 minutes per side). Butter each boxty and serve hot with or without sugar.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Feather Magazine