A few interesting ingredients take this Jamaican Banana Bread to a tropical place from which you will not want to return. Banana bread with an island twist.
- Yield: 6 SERVINGS
- Prep time: 15 MINUTES
- Cook time: 1 HOUR
- Total time: 1 HOUR 15 MINUTES
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt (or pina colada flavored!!)
- 3 tablespoons dark rum OR apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, rum, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.
- Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.
- Combine powdered sugar and juice, stirring with a whisk; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely on wire rack.